The Basset Hounds we all know and love today have bloodlines that descend from England in the middle-to-late 19th century. However, the Basset breed actually got its start (best as anyone who has delved into it can ascertain) much earlier, and in France, of all places. This was in the 16th century. Now, I know what you’re thinking… how can such a magnificent and flawless dog breed as the glorious Basset Hound have had its origins in France? I have to confess that it does makes things a bit more complicated for me emotionally, since I detest that snooty, has-been nation (kidding, sort of), BUT…My love for Bassets wins out every time!The AKC officially deemed Bassets ‘worthy’ in 1885 by recognizing them. I guess they didn’t realize that Basset Hounds are all BORN perfect and, thus, are beyond such trifles as being “recognized” by the almighty AKC (oooh!). But I’ve learned to forgive such human errors.You may be wondering why French folks would concoct such a funny-looking dog breed. The answer is pretty boring, actually (as are most things French…ok, enough!). Nobles of that time liked to hunt. A lot. But the French countryside featured a lot of dense brush… Read full this story
- Dogwalker claims that her Basset Hound discovered a severed human penis while playing on the beach
- Dundee designer creates online map of dog-friendly places in the city
- Mystery of the bizarre ‘penis and testicles’ found washed up on a beach by a dog may have finally been solved
- Top of the Pups: Country's favourite 100 breeds of dog revealed after poll of nation's pet lovers
- Britain's top 100 dog breeds revealed
- Canine couture: The Milan designer creating tailored outfits for dogs
- Mystery of 'penis and testicles' found washed up on beach by woman's dog finally explained
- That cute puppy in the licensed pet shop could be a product of the illegal dog smuggling trade
- ‘Human penis and testicles’ found on Brean Sands beach in Somerset by stunned dog walker
- It’s a snow day! Have we pictured you in our gallery from Tuesday, February 27?
Basset Hounds - The Skinny on These Chubby Dogs have 344 words, post on ezinearticles.com at March 6, 2006. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.