Home Yoga spirituality Spiritual masters Swami chinmayananda Swami Chinmayananda oi-Priya Devi By Priya Devi on December 28, 2010 Ageing gracefully was inherent in Indian culture. Shiv Swarup Agarwal, the author here discusses the misinterpretation of the four divisions or the Varna Dharma. Misinterpretations of fundamental concepts and consequences thereof: Hindu children attending English medium schools, were systematically fed with gross misinterpretations of fundamentals of Indian culture, “Vanprasth Ashram” was decried as useless and unsuitable for modem times. The word “Vanprasth” was interpreted to mean “going to forests after completing 50 years of life. Fourth stage elderlies “Sanyasis” were termed as lotus eaters. Consequently, “Vanprasth” Ashram,which was a concept for ageing gracefully in the Indian culture, has vanished from the life of an average Indian and “Sanyas Ashram” has become frightening enough even to talk about. The word “Varna” or was interpreted as Caste System based on births, shown to have its main aim perpetuation of Brahmanical superiority. Indian society, which was integrated socially and economically for thousands of years before British rule, divided itself between Savama class and Shoodra class fighting with each other. Specialization recognized as essential for faster growth was lost. Inefficient working at every level became a… Read full this story
- Shakespeare in the age of Brexit and Trump: the play’s still the thing
- Sebastian Barry named Irish fiction laureate, hailing 'golden age of Irish prose'
- 37% Indian women never bought gold: WGC study
- Paul Simon bridges age gap with songs for the indie generation
- Sense and sensitivity: On International Museum Day, its ‘access for all’ in the age of ‘new normal’
- Lance Armstrong: I first cheated aged 21
- Disney’s new animated show ‘Mira, Royal Detective’ celebrates India’s cultural diversity globally
- Jacques Chirac, former French president, dies aged 86
- Nepal approves new map incorporating Indian territory
- Purchase of fitness equipment rises in new work-from-home culture
Ageing Gracefully In Indian Culture-Four Divisions have 301 words, post on www.boldsky.com at December 28, 2010. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.