Football can’t rebuild homes and families, not even in afootball-mad state like Alabama. But the game can provideinspiration and hope.Especially in the aftermath of the devastating tornados thatripped through the state.Since the storms on April 27 – which killed 42 people anddamaged or destroyed more than 5,000 homes in Tuscaloosa alone –”Roll Tide” has taken on new meaning. The saying, which usuallystands for greetings and goodbyes and many things in between, nowsends the message, ”We can do this.”Alabamians from all over the state and people from around thecountry have descended on the state to help. And ”Roll Tide”supplies a quick pick-me-up for ‘Bama fans, said Keith Avery, alifelong Tuscaloosa resident.”It instills a ray of hope,” he said. ”It reminds people youcan’t take that from us. You can take material things, but youcan’t take that. We’re from Tuscaloosa.”You’ll never take that from us.”Crimson Tide offensive lineman Barrett Jones says he and histeammates feel Tuscaloosa is their town, too. So they are trying todo their part.Jones, who went out with others from the football complex topass out drinks and later helped clear debris in the Forest Lakesneighborhood with a chain saw, said it’s important for athletes toembrace the city.”Football is a big… Read full this story
- Bites from the Big Apple: fashion's innovators take New York by storm
- Election drama takes new turns
- Hilarious footballing meme gives new meaning to Key & Peele sketch
- Hospitals facing another winter of 'trolley gridlock' as roll-out of new beds to 'take years'
- 'Bobbies on the beat' takes on new meaning in South Yorkshire Police's Halloween music video
- Crematorium to stop taking new bookings
- Dundee school takes new approach to help struggling children – through playing
- Actress Imogen Stubbs on taking Homer's Odyssey to a tent on North Coast beaches
- London's new super sewer to open up the Thames with acres of public space for watersports, arts and ecology
- Government says new strategy will provide ‘health service we can be proud of’
‘Roll Tide’ takes on new meaning in Tuscaloosa have 327 words, post on www.foxsports.com at June 2, 2011. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.