Story highlights Amnesty International’s report found much ISIS munitions comes from stockpiles captured from U.S.-allied Iraqi military The bulk of ISIS arsenal, says Amnesty, made up of older Soviet-era weapons, from Iraq-Iran War and from 2003-2007 U.S. occupation (CNN)A new report from a prominent human rights group has found that ISIS has built a substantial arsenal, including U.S.-made weapons obtained from the Iraqi army and Syrian opposition groups. Amnesty International’s 44-page report, released late Monday, found that much of ISIS’ equipment and munitions comes from stockpiles captured from the U.S.-allied Iraqi military and Syrian rebels. The findings come as President Barack Obama has recommitted to leaning on regional forces, including the Iraqis, Kurds and Syrian opposition, to try to wipe out ISIS rather than committing significant numbers of U.S. ground troops. “The strategy that we are using now — airstrikes, (U.S.) Special Forces and working with local forces who are fighting to regain control of their own country — that is how we’ll achieve a more sustainable victory,” Obama said in a speech Sunday. “And it won’t require us sending a new generation of Americans overseas to fight and die for another decade on foreign soil.” These local forces will… Read full this story
- Explosion Reported at Arsenal Weapons Factory in Bulgaria
- What does Obama want Congress to do about ISIS and terrorism?
- 2 'highly radicalised' ISIS terrorists arrested near Red Fort: Police
- NYC Attack: How ISIS Teaches Fighters Across the World to Make Bombs
- Military uncovers arms factory in Benue
- What Happens Without an ISIS Leader? If Russia Killed Baghdadi, Islamic State Could Collapse
- U.S. Military Will Stay in Syria After ISIS Is Defeated, Threatening New Conflict With Russia and Iran
- Is ISIS Leader Still Alive? Baghdadi Spotted In Syrian Town Before Liberation, Hezbollah Says
- Crises are fueling the global arms trade: SIPRI report
- Pentagon identifies Marines killed in 'intense' clash with ISIS fighters in Iraq
Amnesty report: ISIS armed with U.S. weapons have 321 words, post on edition.cnn.com at December 7, 2015. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.