PARIS: Giant Internet firms Facebook and Google joined forces with news organisations on Monday to launch new fact-checking tools designed to root out “fake news” stories in France ahead of the country’s presidential election. Social networks and news aggregators came under fire during the U.S. presidential vote when it became clear they had inadvertently fanned false news reports. Facebook , said it would work with eight French news organisations, including news agency Agence France-Presse (AFP), news channel BFM TV, and newspapers L’Express and Le Monde to minimise the risk that false news appeared on its platform. Facebook, the world’s biggest social network, has 24 million users in France, more than a third of the country’s population. It will rely on users to flag fake news on its network so that the articles can then by fact-checked by its partner organisations. Any news report deemed to be fake by two of its partners would then be tagged with an icon to show that the content is contested, Facebook said. Facebook is also supporting a separate initiative launched by Google dubbed “CrossCheck” which calls on users to submit links to contested content to a dedicated website so that it can be investigated…. Read full this story
- 9News's Gary Shapiro on Tweetstorm Caused by Muting Fake News Claimers
- EU steps up fight against 'fake news' ahead of elections
- Trump Fake News: U.N. Rapporteur Says President Is 'Worst' Peddler of Misinformation in America
- New Internet: Blockchain Technology Could Help Us Take Back Our Data from Facebook, Google and Amazon
- Over-65s Spread the Most Fake News During 2016 Election: Study
- Who shared the most fake news on Facebook during 2016 election?
- Jessica Heslam: Boomers trump millennials in fake news
- Elderly, conservatives more likely to share fake news
- Media layoffs bring heat on Facebook, Google
- Sheryl Sandberg denies Facebook paid anyone to create ‘fake news’
Facebook, Google join drive against fake news in France have 316 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at February 6, 2017. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.