As a candidate for president, Donald J. Trump scarcely mentioned the word “tech.” One year since he took the oath of office, that hasn’t changed much. And yet just a year in, the Trump administration has shaped policy in ways that will radically alter the country’s long-term ability to innovate—and often not for the better. Trump’s public relationship with tech titans has eroded, thanks to his positions on immigration, climate change, and more, despite attempts to build up goodwill during his transition to the White House. Meanwhile, the ranks of tech talent within the administration have shrunk, with top positions like chief technology officer at the Office of Science and Technology Policy, left wide open. Senior advisor and presidential son-in-law Jared Kushner did launch the so-called Office of American Innovation, but the tiny shop’s primary focus is modernizing government, not enabling innovation across the country. Considering all this, it might seem like a safe bet that Trump’s first year in office would have a minimal effect on the future of innovation in the United States. Yet despite his public focus on border walls and coal country, that’s where the policies his administration have actually enacted may end up being most… Read full this story
- Trump's huge Iran gamble will have lasting impact
- Presidents have changed the office over time. Will Trump have a lasting impact too?
- KOLB: Don’t Count On Trump To Leave A Lasting Impact On The GOP
- China finds new ways to pressure Trump amid trade impasse
- Vladimir Putin Denies Having Compromising Information on Donald Trump
- 2019: The year Trump "effectively" shut off asylum at the border and restricted immigration
- Five questions for Trump's 2020 hopes
- The story behind the Trump Effect, from the Editor-in-Chief
- Trump ISIS Leak to Russia Could End Israel-U.S. Intelligence Sharing
- Serious debate preceded Trump's decision to strike Soleimani
The Lasting Impacts of Trump's First Year have 305 words, post on www.wired.com at January 20, 2018. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.