By his own account, playwright and Pulitzer-Prize winner Lawrence Wright (for the mesmerizing non-fiction account of the rise of Al-Qaeda, The Looming Tower) had written 87 drafts for Cleo, now having its world premiere at the Alley Theatre. He needs to write No. 88.Cleo is a somewhat fictional account of the scandalous saga of the making of the last of Hollywood’s grand epics, Cleopatra (1963), which starred a luxuriantly dressed Elizabeth Taylor, as the last queen of the Nile, and her soon-to-be new husband, the tempestuous Welshman Richard Burton, as overachieving Roman general Marc Antony, partial heir to Caesar’s empire and all of his Alexandrian bed. The Burton/Taylor adulterous affair (both married at the time) sparked international outrage, frenzied condemnation, and unprecedented tabloid attention. If Hollywood was dying, this was its ironic last gasp: two movie stars who said to hell with what anyone thinks, we’re doing whatever we please.Had their affair happened during the making of any other movie, it might have been overlooked, but it occurred smack in the middle of the biggest movie ever made up to that time, a movie cursed at its inception for its bloated budget, wasteful extravagance, and prodigal inefficiency. Although everyone involved… Read full this story
- Inventory: 15 Book-to-film adaptations that live up to the source material
- Fortnite season 9, week 5 challenge guide: Visit different wind turbines in a match
- His Dark Materials review: HBO’s soulless GOT follow-up epic fantasy is barely saved by Dafne Keen
- Roger Federer knows he let one slip in Wimbledon epic
- Epic Games further nerfs Fortnite mechs: Are the B.R.U.T.E. vehicles fair now?
- Borderlands 3 will be an Epic Games store exclusive on PC
- Epic Boss Says Exclusives Policy Will Change If Steam Adjust Their Revenue Share
- Epic Games defends Fortnite cross-platform matchmaking amid player backlash
- Tetris Effect, no longer a PS4 exclusive, hits Epic Games Store with VR support
- Epic Games will give away $100 million in first year of competitive ‘Fortnite’
Cleo at the Alley Doesn't Match the Epic Content of its Source Material have 334 words, post on www.houstonpress.com at April 12, 2018. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.