Pankaj Mishra’s “Age of Anger: A History of the Present”, which seeks to explore the origin of “the great wave of paranoid hatreds”, has made it to the longlist of the 3000-pound Orwell Prize, Britain’s most prestigious award for political writing. Every year, the Orwell Foundation awards prizes for the work which comes closest to George Orwell’s ambition ‘to make political writing into an art’. Besides the book prize, there are also the journalism prize and the prize for exposing Britain’s social evils. Among other authors in the longlist are Ali Smith (“Winter”), Laurie Penny (“Bitch Doctrine”), Reni Eddo-Lodge “Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People about Race”), Mark Mazower (“What You Did Not Tell”), Clair Wills (“Lovers and Strangers: An Immigrant History of Post-War Britain”) and Chris Renwick (“Bread for All: The Origins of the Welfare State”). “The Islamic Enlightenment: The Modern Struggle Between Faith and Reason” by Christopher de Bellaigue, “Threads from the Refugee Crisis” by Kate Evans, “Testosterone Rex” by Cordelia Fine, “The Road to Somewhere – The Populist Revolt and the Future of Politics” by David Goodhart, and “Poverty Safari” by Darren McGarvey complete the longlist. The shortlist will be announced on May 18 and… Read full this story
- Comic artist Mandy Ord's graphic memoir longlisted for Stella Prize in first for major Australian literary award
- Women's prize shortlist: Hilary Mantel issue looms large for judges
- Woolmark prize winner Rahul Mishra partners with Myntra
- Stella prize announces two debut novelists included in 2014 shortlist
- Evie Wyld wins Miles Franklin with 'compelling' All the Birds, Singing
- I’m going back to Proust this August. The truly long read is a summer treat
- Son of Saul selected as Hungary's best foreign language Oscar entry
- 'My family are too frightened to read my book': meet Europe's most exciting authors
- Philip Roth at 80. Will we ever see his like again?
- Summer reading: dive into the perfect book
Pankaj Mishra in Orwell Prize longlist have 324 words, post on www.deccanherald.com at April 11, 2018. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.