To the world, China’s President Xi Jinping presents himself as a champion of free markets. At home, he’s leading a campaign to promote the works of communist philosopher Karl Marx, who 150 years ago famously warned of the dangers of global capitalism. “Marx was Correct,” declared a slickly produced TV special that’s part of a state media campaign rolled out by Xi’s administration this week seeking to popularize Marx among younger Chinese raised in an era of market-style economic reform. The campaign featured a catchy theme song, dramatic readings, and an article titled “Say Hi to Marx” showing an illustration of the white-bearded Marx making a trendy V-for-victory sign.“Today, we commemorate Marx in order to pay tribute to the greatest thinker in the history of mankind and also to declare our firm belief in the scientific truth of Marxism,” Xi said in a speech Friday prominently displayed across state media platforms. It’s all about cementing the power of Xi and the ruling Communist Party and combating liberal Western democratic concepts thought to threaten its rule, using a legacy dating way past the 1949 Chinese revolution, analysts say. The madness for Marx dovetails with a drive to “Sinicize” culture, religion and… Read full this story
- Coronavirus COVID-19 has been aggressively contained in China. So can Australia learn from Xi Jinping's tactics?
- Chinese Dissident Facing 15 Years in Prison After Demanding Incompetent Xi Jinping Resign
- Xi Jinping visits epicentre Wuhan; sign that China believes coronavirus outbreak has turned a corner
- China prepares to declare VICTORY over coronavirus outbreak as President Xi visits quarantined residents in Wuhan and the city closes all of its 14 makeshift hospitals
- Xi Jinping has finally visited Wuhan, the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak in China
- Chinese executive who called Xi a 'clown' over coronavirus response 'is missing'
- China’s Dystopian Coronavirus ’Back to Work’ Campaign
- Xi Focus: With virus basically curbed, China pushes ahead battle against economic fallout
- Putin and Xi are using the coronavirus crisis to extend their control. Across the world, Trump struggles to keep up
- Xi makes 1st visit since outbreak to China’s epicenter Wuhan
China president Xi Jinping free trader to world, champion of Karl Marx at home have 346 words, post on www.financialexpress.com at May 5, 2018. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.