THE Taliban has asked the US to help it destroy ISIS in Afghanistan as it prepares for a massive assault to drive the terror group out of the country. Militants have requested for the Americans to stop airstrikes on the eastern province of Nangarhar, an ISIS stronghold, to avoid hitting its troops during the battle. The move comes amid fledgling peace talks between the Taliban and US who agreed to a ceasefire over the Eid festival last year, the Times reports. A bloody assault on ISIS territories in three districts is expected to be launched this week and could last for several weeks. The Taliban’s fearsome Red Unit, a Special Forces-style commando team, will spearhead the battle in the mountainous terrain. One fighter told the Times: “The Red Unit commando fighters will participate in the Nangarhar operation. They are already fighting against IS in other eastern provinces.” A meeting between a senior US diplomat and Taliban representatives to discuss a possible ceasefire in Doha last month ended with “very positive signals”, sources claimed. One Taliban official said there were “very positive signals” from the meeting, which he said was conducted in a “friendly atmosphere” in a Doha hotel. He added:… Read full this story
- What Afghanistan Wants from the Winner of the US Election
- Isis in Afghanistan: 'Their peak is over, but they are not finished'
- US Out of Afghanistan by Christmas? Adviser Says That’s President’s Desire
- ISIS fanatics ‘behead 50 men and boys on Mozambique football pitch before chopping them up and kidnapping every woman’
- Taliban fears over young recruits attracted to Isis in Afghanistan
- Chilling map of ISIS terror cells shows how fanatics are launching blood-soaked comeback as ‘50 beheaded in Mozambique’
- The Taliban on Trump: "We hope he will win the election" and withdraw U.S. troops
- Rebuilding Nimrud will help atone for the sins of the west
- Vienna terror gunman 'was happy and smiling' as he helped pensioner neighbour carry her shopping just HOURS before shooting dead four people, she reveals
- Afghan peace talks with Taliban begin in Doha with rocky path ahead
Taliban begs America for support to defeat ISIS in Afghanistan just years after being crushed by the West have 341 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 8, 2018. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.