Opinion It was a sermon few heard, but one everyone was talking about. “Old-school eulogy at Aretha Franklin funeral ignites wrath,” headlined ABC News. “Uproar over pastor’s fiery eulogy at Franklin funeral,” said Yahoo News. The media exploded as excerpts of Reverend Jasper Williams Jr’s sermon at Aretha Franklin’s funeral were released. But what did this pastor say that created such hysteria? What was the context of his sermon? And who is he? Recommended Slideshows 78 Worst Movies of All Time: These Films Got 0 Percent on Rotten Tomatoes 51 Real Estate: What a $300K House Looks Like In Every State 59 The 25 Most Powerful Passports in the World First, let’s talk context. The sermon was given at Greater Grace Temple in Detroit. It wasn’t held at a basketball arena, which the funeral could have packed. It was a church. For folks not familiar with churches, it’s a place Americans go to get closer to God. To be lifted up by Him. And challenged by Him, too. Keep up with this story and more by subscribing now Indeed, it’s from the pulpits that America has experienced its greatest challenges. On the slavery front, the civil rights front, and, of late, the prison… Read full this story
- British Army Band Performs 'Respect' at Buckingham Palace as Aretha Franklin Is Laid to Rest
- Beyoncé and JAY-Z Dedicate Their Concert to Aretha Franklin: 'We Love You'
- Teen Motherhood, Losing Her Dad and Her Quiet Health Battle: Aretha Franklin's Personal Struggles
- Cynthia Erivo radiates star power as she channels Aretha Franklin in NEW STILL from Genius... on what would have been late singer's 78th birthday
- Aretha Franklin's Hometown Church Holds Vigil for the Soul Icon Amid Health Battle
- ‘Genius: Aretha’: T.I. Among 4 Cast As Nat Geo Series Releases New Photo On Aretha Franklin’s Birthday
- Aretha Franklin: I 'Feel Great' Post-Surgery
- Aretha Franklin Sang a 5-Minute National Anthem at the Lions-Vikings Game — and the Internet Is Very Thankful
- Led to a Comeback, but Aretha Franklin Is Still Soul Sister No. 1
- Aretha Franklin's Fiancé Willie Wilkerson: 5 Things to Know
Aretha Franklin Was a God Girl: The Controversial Funeral Sermon have 353 words, post on www.newsweek.com at September 4, 2018. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.