On Monday, a young black mother whose 1-year-old son, Kaiden Lee-Welch, drowned tragically in the floodwaters of Hurricane Florence, was charged with involuntary manslaughter, which carries a potential sentence of 13 to 16 months in prison if she’s convicted. The New York Times reports that 20-year-old Dazia Lee told reporters in the immediate aftermath of Florence, which caused the deaths of more than 40 people in the Carolinas and Virginia, “I did everything I could as a parent to save him and protect him.” The sheriff’s office of Union County, North Carolina insists Lee has been charged on account of driving around barricades onto roads authorities had closed due to flooding. Kaiden was in the car. Lee told the Washington Post in September that she’d noticed orange barrels along the highway (she was reportedly visiting relatives), but they didn’t block it and she observed other cars on the road before heading that way herself. The car was quickly hit by floodwaters. Per the Post’s report: “She’d been holding Kaiden to her chest. But now he was only holding into his forearm. The waters whooshed by with surprising force, pulling him away. She had his wrist. Then his hand. Then his… Read full this story
- Parents charged with manslaughter over 6yo boy's death in Hurstville hotel
- Boyfriend of 17-year-old high school senior who died from a heroin overdose in 2017 will go on trial for manslaughter after prosecutors say he’s responsible for the death as he 'gave her the drugs'
- Schizophrenic, 31, who hadn't taken her medication pleads guilty to bashing a 77-year-old woman to death
- Five-year-old girl who disappeared playing outside her step-dad's home in New Mexico and wasn't reported missing for nine hours is found dead in the Rio Grande
- Friends and family of Juice Wrld pay tribute to the rapper at a private funeral for the 21-year-old while fans hold their own 'Celebration of Life' in downtown Chicago
- Rape of 7-year-old in India marks the latest in series of attacks on girls
- Father Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter After 18-Year-Old Son Shot, Killed By Twin Brother
- Ten-week-old baby boy dies of brain injury at home as his dad is charged with manslaughter
- Chinese 'slapping therapist' whose six-year-old diabetic patient died after he told the boy's parents to stop giving him insulin is jailed for seven years
- 28-Year-Old Man Accused Of Fatally Shooting Mom Following Argument In Margate
Mother of 1-Year-Old Who Died in Hurricane Florence Floodwaters Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter have 392 words, post on jezebel.com at October 31, 2018. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.