Detroit—Accomplished lawyer? Check. First lady of the United States? Been there, done that. Bestselling author? Three million checks. With a resume like Michelle Obama’s, its sometimes easy to forget that the beginning of her story is a lot more relatable than you’d think—a point that she hoped to get across to a group of students she surprised on Tuesday at the Motown Museum. The group of 18 young men of color from Wayne State University was invited to take part in a discussion led Obama’s older brother and vice president of player development for the New York Knicks, Craig Robinson, as well as actor and Detroit native Keegan-Michael Key, about education and navigating college life as men of color. The group, however, were not aware that they would also get a visit from the Forever-FLOTUS herself. “Do you mind if I sit in?” she said as she greeted the group of men. The tone in the room abruptly shifted when Obama entered, visibly shocking the young men in the room. “This was supposed to be boys only,” Robinson joked. The discussion, organized by Obama’s Reach Higher Initiative, was one of many the first lady has joined in various cities throughout… Read full this story
- Are You Ready for a Barack and Michelle Obama Speaking-Engagement World Tour?
- Michelle Obama Speaks on the Richness of Diversity in Final Commencement Address as First Lady
- Michelle Obama Speaks at NAACP's 101st Annual Convention
- ‘Young People Like You Have Led the Way in Making America Better’: Barack and Michelle Obama Write Letter to Parkland, Fla., Students
- People Are Obsessed with Michelle Obama's 'Not Amused' Face
- #RNCinCLE 2016: Melania Trump Takes a Big Bite Out of Michelle Obama's 2008 DNC Speech
- ‘Don’t Wind Up on Page Six,’ Michelle Obama Told Malia as She Headed Off to College ... and, Welp
- Michelle Obama’s Program for Healthy School Lunches Is Target of Lobbying Group Seeking to Change Nutrition Standards
- Fox News talking head insists Michelle Obama should ‘just smile and be helpful to Melania’
- Michelle Obama Teams Up With Spotify to Help Students Prepare for College
Michelle Obama Speaks to Detroit Students About How to Deal With ‘Naysayers’ have 360 words, post on www.theroot.com at December 13, 2018. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.