Dir: Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman; Starring: Shameik Moore, Hailee Steinfeld, Mahershala Ali, Jake Johnson. Cert PG, 117 mins Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is the seventh Spider-Man film to be released in cinemas in the past 16 years. We’ve seen three different actors suit up for the role in Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland. By all logic, we should be exhausted by now. The Marvel character’s first animated film, however, has done the near-impossible – totally revitalise him. While we are still up in arms about whether superhero films should be light or dour, humorous or gritty, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse slips past unconcerned, combining so many of the elements the genre has strived for – visual flair, humour, genuine pathos, style, grand narratives – while making a strong case that animation is the natural medium for the comic book movie. Join Independent Minds For exclusive articles, events and an advertising-free read for just £5.99 €6.99 $9.99 a month Start your free trial Get the best of The Independent With an Independent Minds subscription for just £5.99 €6.99 $9.99 a month Start your free trial Get the best of The Independent Without the ads – for just £5.99… Read full this story
- Comic Book Day: National writer Michael Moreci to sign sci-fi creations
- AZ Memo: Phoenix Comic Fest kicks off today; 'Solo' and other movie reviews; will Sedona chef 'Beat Bobby Flay?'
- Deadpool 2 review: The humour is becoming just a bit wearisome
- Underrated Comic Characters Most People Haven't Heard Of
- How Ian McEwan, Novelist, Became Ian McEwan, Movie Consultant
- Tom Wolfe Kept a Close, Comical and Astonished Eye on America
- 'Last Man Standing' officially renewed at Fox
- Jake Gyllenhaal set to play villain in new Spider-Man movie
- Graphic Novel Review: Marvel Platinum: The Definitive Avengers Redux
- Asterix the Gaul makes comic comeback at London's Jewish Museum
Spider-Man: into the Spider-Verse review: It makes the case animation beats live-action for comic book movies have 290 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at December 12, 2018. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.