News by Press Association 20/05/2019, 12:03 am Send us a story Sign up to our Daily newsletter Many species of bees are on the brink of extinction in parts of the UK with some types lost entirely, a report has found. Climate change, habitat loss, pollution and disease are revealed to be threatening the pollinators following research at centres in the east of England. It concluded that 17 species were regionally extinct – including the Great Yellow Bumblebee, the Potter Flower Bee and the Cliff Mason Bee – with 25 types threatened and another 31 of conservation concern. Published on Monday which is World Bee Day, The Bees Under Siege report by WWF and Buglife analysed data recorded for 228 species of bees. The pollinating services of the insect are worth £690 million per year to the UK economy. An important region for agriculture, the research centres were in Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertforshire, Norfolk and Suffolk – all home to nationally and internationally significant pollinating populations. The report recommends a number of conservation actions to help stabilise populations of bees and reverse declines. – Ensure that coastal management plans protect coastal habitats and promote the management of sea walls – Safeguard wildlife-rich… Read full this story
- Hurricane Dorian has triggered an 'ecological disaster': Category Five storm's 185mph winds may have wiped out a rare species of tropical bird, scientist says
- UK should contribute £20bn to UN climate fund by 2030, report says
- The 10 species most at risk from climate change
- Did human hunting activities alone drive great auks’ extinction?
- Fact check: Does Australia have one of the 'highest loss of species anywhere in the world'?
- Koala factcheck: have the Australian bushfires put survival of the species at stake?
- Letter by 240 leading scientists calls on Scott Morrison to stem extinction crisis
- Australia's east coast named as 'deforestation front' in WWF Living Planet report
- More than 40% of UK species have declined since 1970s, study finds
- UK would be 'outgunned' in Russia conflict - think-tank
Many bee species extinct or under threat in UK, report says have 313 words, post on www.eveningexpress.co.uk at May 19, 2019. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.