LONDON — The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has spread to the city of Goma, a major transportation hub along the Rwandan border that’s home to more than two million people. The confirmed Ebola case in Goma was announced late Sunday by the Democratic Republic of the Congo’s health ministry. The patient, a 46-year-old pastor from South Kivu province, was admitted to an Ebola treatment center in Goma, but then transferred to one in Butembo on Monday morning, according to a statement from the health ministry. It’s the first Ebola case to be confirmed in Goma since the ongoing outbreak began nearly a year ago. The city, located on the nation’s eastern border with Rwanda, is the bustling capital of North Kivu province, one of the two affected provinces in the epidemic. It receives a large number of travelers from across the country and the greater region. (MORE: Ebola-stricken boy who became 1st cross-border case in growing outbreak dies) The World Health Organization, the global health arm of the United Nations, has decided three times not to declare the current outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, which would mobilize more resources and command global… Read full this story
- Obama’s ‘Ebola Czar’ Ron Klain Asks: Will Donald Trump Step Up Now?
- Swedish authorities to bring in local lockdowns as coronavirus cases rise - after country resisted harsh restrictions and relied on social distancing to halt the spread at the peak of the pandemic
- Britain reaches coronavirus 'tipping point': Cases TRIPLE in two weeks with 15,166 infections and 81 deaths as the government locks horns with Northern leaders over new restrictions to be announced tomorrow
- Germany closes in on Britain's daily coronavirus cases with a record 20,000 new infections as WHO warns of a Covid 'explosion' across Europe
- English towns and cities that could follow Leicester into new local lockdowns
- Japan's new COVID-19 cases hit record high amid nationwide virus resurgence
- Chicago ordering a 30-day stay-at-home advisory starting Monday
- COVID Surge: California Hits Grim Milestone Of 1 Million Coronavirus Cases
- White House warns Cuomo and Christie over Ebola quarantine rules
- Are We Ready for the Next Ebola Outbreak?
Ebola case confirmed in Congolese city of Goma, home to over 2 million have 354 words, post on abcnews.go.com at July 15, 2019. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.