Hello, my name is John Cherwa and welcome to our horse racing newsletter as we tell you who won’t be racing this weekend because of high temperatures and a sweltering heat index.Sadly, the big news on Thursday was the freak accident at Del Mar where Charge A Bunch collided with Carson Valley during morning workouts. Of all the 30 deaths at Santa Anita, none seemed as wild as this one.Charge A Bunch bolted while preparing to work, unseated rider Geovanni Franco, did a U-turn and ran head first into Carson Valley. Both were unraced colts, Charge A Bunch was 2 and Carson Valley was 3.According to Dr. Rick Arthur, equine medical director for the California Horse Racing Board, they both died on the track of broken necks. Carla Gaines trained Charge A Bunch and Bob Baffert conditioned Carson Valley. Assael Espinoza was aboard Carson Valley and complained about back pain and was taken to the hospital. But, his agent, Brian Beach, said it was just a sprain and the jockey hoped to return to racing this weekend.For a longer look at the incident, check out my web and print story. (Just click here.)Weather back eastThose of you who like to… Read full this story
- Pospisil spoils Del Potro's return in Miami
- With no Karzai, Afghans vote in open race with high stakes
- Houston races to rescue flood victims before storm’s return
- Froome torpedoes rivals as Martin secures TT win
- Nadal considered French Open 'impossible dream'
- Federer suffers fresh setback with Miami withdrawal
- Children mistakenly injected with water instead of vaccine
- Singapore’s first Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew dies aged 91
- Tears as Germany mourns 16 teens killed in air crash
- Real bid to extend derby supremacy in Copa final
Newsletter: Racing! A difficult morning at Del Mar have 284 words, post on www.latimes.com at July 19, 2019. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.