A high-stakes state election in Virginia this year is set to get even more heated as both sides of the gun control debate pour money and resources to reshape an almost evenly split legislature in the wake of recent mass shootings across the country.At the center of the upcoming battle is a set of comprehensive gun control bills, including universal background checks and a ban on assault weapons, that failed to pass the legislature last month after Gov. Ralph Northam (D) called for a special session following a Virginia Beach shooting that killed 12 people in May.Democrats blame Republican leadership for abruptly ending the session, saying the National Rifle Association (NRA) and gun rights groups swayed GOP legislators. But Republicans say they wanted more time to examine the policy proposals and accuse Democrats of using the Virginia Beach shooting as a political prop ahead of the election. ADVERTISEMENTThe proposed gun control reform is set to be considered in mid-November, just days after a Nov. 5 election that will determine who controls Virginia’s legislature next year. Virginia has become increasingly blue, having voted twice for President Obama and Democratic nominee Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonYang blasts Democrats for being ‘obsessed’ with Trump Impeachment’s historic moment boils… Read full this story
- Real Movement on Gun Control?
- After Parkland, gun-control advocates see a turning point for new state laws
- Gov. Ivey cracks jokes about Maddox, continues to duck debate
- 3-D printable guns make no sense to Trump; what's at stake in the debate
- Gwen Graham targeted in final debate of Florida’s Democratic primary for governor
- Graham takes fire in final debate of Florida’s Democratic primary for governor
- Florida's Post-Parkland "Red Flag" Law Has Taken Guns From Dozens of Dangerous People
- ‘Seinfeld candidate’ clashes with ‘errand boy’ for Big Sugar in GOP debate for governor
- Hey Jersey, Speaker Paul Ryan is gunning for these Democrats
- Speaker Paul Ryan is gunning for these Jersey Democrats
Gun debate raises stakes in battle for Virginia legislature have 318 words, post on thehill.com at August 26, 2019. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.