President Moon Jae-in, second from left, receives a briefing from the Ministry of National Defense and the Ministry of Patriots and Veterans Affairs at the Gyeryongdae military compound in South Chungcheong on Tuesday. [JOINT PRESS CORPS]South Korea will deploy its antipiracy unit to the Strait of Hormuz for defensive purposes independent of a U.S.-led maritime coalition, Seoul’s Ministry of National Defense announced Tuesday.The Navy’s Cheonghae antipiracy unit, which currently protects international shipping in the Gulf of Aden, will have its operational range expanded to include the Strait of Hormuz “to uphold the safety of our people and freedom of navigation,” said a ministry official. This decision comes after months of pressure from the United States to enlist South Korea’s help in an international effort to defend the strait – the transit route for some 70 percent of Korea’s crude oil imports – amid escalating tensions with Iran. In December, the South Korean government was leaning toward joining the U.S.-led maritime coalition, called the International Maritime Security Conduct (IMSC), but that threatened friction with Iran, from which Seoul imports around 13 percent of its crude oil. In a press conference on Monday, the chairman of the National Assembly’s Defense Committee, Rep…. Read full this story
- Korean Culture - Every Day Tasks in Seoul, South Korea
- What if We Send Microbes to Terra to Form Another Planet?
- Angel Perfume - Strait From Heaven To Your Nose
- Document Shredding: Destroying The Things That You Value
- How Can You Avoid Being Destroyed By the Words of a Hypocrite?
- Defeating Siege Warfare - Satanic Battle Tactics Exposed & Destroyed
- Email Mistakes That Destroy Customer Trust
- Destroy Debt With a Debt Consolidation Loan
- How Google's Editors Tag & Destroy Offensive Affiliate Sites
- How To Increase Your Online Business And Destroy Your Competition...
Seoul to send destroyer to Hormuz Strait have 308 words, post on koreajoongangdaily.joins.com at January 22, 2020. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.