Germany and other foreign governments have stepped up their efforts to repatriate thousands of holiday-makers who are currently stuck in remote locations across Asia due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On Friday, a Qatar Airways flight chartered by the German government evacuated more than 300 people from Nepal , the majority of whom were German nationals. Berlin plans to fly out another set of tourists from Nepal on Saturday, news agency AFP reported. The Australian Embassy in Nepal also said it was trying to arrange a special flight. Everest trekkers awaiting flights Nepal, which has restricted all international flights coming into the country until April 1, is currently in talks with several countries to evacuate an estimated 10,000 tourists. “We don’t have information about a flight back to Belgium yet,” Elka Wallraf, a teacher stranded in the village of Phakding near Mount Everest, told AFP. Tenzing–Hillary Airport, the only airport connecting tourists to the Mount Everest region, currently has more than 200 trekkers stuck at the airport, Dhurba Shrestha, an airport official, told The Associated Press. Some tourists in Nepal are being given temporary reprieve by hotels, which are giving free lodging and meals. Read more: India’s coronavirus fight complicated by people… Read full this story
- Hundreds stranded on Indonesian mountain after quake
- Five Weeks In Japan As An Automotive Tourist
- Pakistan is ‘Asia’s best kept secret’ – what will it take to reveal it globally?
- Flash Flood Sends Tourists to High Ground Near Grand Canyon
- Chinese exporters scramble to cope with US tariffs
- No country for Kiki challenge: Forget corruption, ‘goras’ dancing with our flag is the bigger problem
- British Tourist Rents Lamborghini And Gets Over $47,000 In Fines In Under Four Hours
- Family of missing British tourist Amelia Bambridge joins search in Cambodia: 'Something's not right'
- Iran and Iraq may not be tourist hot spots, but they offer a spiritual journey like no place else
- Sunny Saves Bo From Mountain Lion During Cross-Country Journey To Reunite With Obamas
Coronavirus: Countries scramble to retrieve tourists stranded in Asia have 318 words, post on www.dw.com at January 28, 2020. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.