Boris Johnson last night saluted the ‘incredible generosity’ of Mail readers at the end of one of the most successful newspaper appeals in modern times. After the Mail Force charity donated its 40 millionth piece of personal protective equipment to the war on Covid-19 – with more to come – the PM said the campaign was a ‘remarkable example of what we can achieve when we pull together to fight a common foe’. NHS chief executive Sir Simon Stevens said Mail Force was a ‘historic charity mission’. Created by this newspaper as an emergency response to a national PPE shortage, Mail Force is about to complete its winter stockpile of protective equipment for charities on the Covid-19 frontline. It will spend its last reserves on state-of-the-art machinery for the North East, leaving a permanent legacy stretching from Shetland to London’s East End. It comes as the last donations to Mail Force took the total past £11.7 million, exceeding all expectations. Since the early days of the pandemic, our overarching priority has been to protect healthcare workers, not just in the NHS but also in the care home and charity sectors. There have been no office overheads or staffing costs to swallow up… Read full this story
- Care homes are waiting up to THREE WEEKS to get their coronavirus test results as bosses warn the swabbing system is 'getting worse'
- Britain records 492 Covid-19 deaths in highest daily toll since May - but new infections are up just 1.9% on last week with 25,177
- At last! NHS workers are 'set to get a vaccine in weeks' as the Government accelerates timetable for a mass roll-out before Christmas - while ministers introduce new laws to bypass EU approval for jab
- PIERS MORGAN: Good-riddance to Boris's hapless chicken aide but now this useless, lame-duck twerp of a Prime Minister, who takes his orders from his fiancée, should follow his lead and quack off too
- Cold comfort: Boris uses national address to warn swingeing fines and more police will enforce loss of freedoms, despite backlash from Tory MPs and business, and holds out hope of vaccine and testing 'moonshot' but not until SPRING
- Celebrity deaths in 2020: Famous faces lost this year from Nobby Stiles to Sean Connery
- Shoppers continue to creep back to beleaguered high streets: Visits to retail centres rise 6% on the previous seven days but are still 26% down on last year, figures show
- TEXT for a pint! Takeaway beers are back on the table after government U-turn... but punters must order drinks by phone or mailing a LETTER under bizarre new lockdown rules
- Boris Johnson says the Poppy Appeal needs YOU ‘more than ever’ as he backs The Sun’s campaign to save it from Covid
- VIETNAM NEWS NOVEMBER 4 (updated hourly)
How YOU made Britain proud: More than 40million items of vital PPE for hospitals, care homes and charities, and £11.7m donated by generous readers and benefactors... Now PM and NHS chief lead praise for 'historic' Mail Force campaign have 446 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 29, 2020. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.