With eight hours left in a calamitous year, a stolen car sped through downtown San Francisco. Inside the gray Honda HR-V, police say, was a pistol with an extended ammunition magazine, a cash register belonging to a vegan bakery and an intoxicated man on parole. He'd used the gun, they say, to steal the vehicle that provided the getaway from the bakery. Troy McAlister, 45, had been in and out of jail and prison since he was a teenager — his most recent arrest just 11 days earlier. Blocks away, at Second Street, two women walked alone, tracing separate paths through a neighborhood transformed by the tech industry. One of them, Hanako Abe, 27, had come here to be part of that energy. The corporate real estate analyst from Japan lived in an apartment a half mile away, overcoming memories of an earthquake in her hometown, Fukushima, to seize opportunity in San Francisco. Now, late on the afternoon of New Year's Eve, she was shopping for ingredients to bake her roommate a cheesecake. The other woman, Elizabeth Platt, was a victim of San Francisco's equally well-known failings. Like a growing number of older city residents, the 60-year-old was homeless, spending… Read full this story
- Ben Shapiro: All Black lives lost should matter to Black Lives Matter movement
- UK coronavirus hospital death toll rises to 33,651 after 15 more lives lost
- Ohio Gov. DeWine warns residents COVID-19 may 'flare up': 'We are today where Florida was a month ago'
- Lives lost, houses destroyed as landslide wrecks parts of Ivory Coast
- Ashley Olsen heads out with a bodyguard in NYC amid protests... as twin MK has STILL not been seen since splitting from Olivier two months ago
- Stassi Schroeder is 'surprised and upset' by her firing from Vanderpump Rules for her racist actions after it emerges she begged Bravo 'please never fire me' four months ago
- Coronavirus UK LIVE: Brits WON’T have to wear face masks in bars but face £100 fine if not worn in shops as 44,830 die
- Coronavirus UK LIVE: Deaths hit 44,830 as face masks soon to be mandatory in shops and VAT reduction starts TOMORROW
- Paddy McGuinness stocks up on groceries in his new £115K Porsche Taycan Turbo... after 'cheating death' in £250k Lamborghini crash on Top Gear
- Gupta: Let's end the prescription drug death epidemic
Two lives were lost in the downtown crash a month ago. Were their deaths preventable? have 378 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at January 30, 2021. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.