If you haven’t heard of curator and critic Antwaun Sargent, you are missing out on one of the most brilliant contemporary voices on photography. The 32-year-old just joined the Gagosian gallery as director after a decade of writing about the art scene and one year after his first book, The New Black Vanguard , was released. It has become an instant classic, highly recommended by editors across the industry and taught in art schools; the book highlights the complex and personal ways that photographers grapple with expression and identity. “For me, that link between the past and the present and the future was really important,” Sargent told BuzzFeed News. “When you say something like 'the new,’ it automatically points to a history that has largely been unseen, unrecognized. The acknowledgment of these young photographers is an investment in the future. We talk about the future as though we don't control it, and having active practices inspires people to be creative in their own way.” An exhibition of The New Black Vanguard will be on display throughout 2021, first in Doha, Qatar, and then at the famed photography festival in Arles, France, in July. Each stop of the exhibition will have… Read full this story
- Radical women and climate change: what to expect from the US art world in 2018
- Akbar Padamsee: colossus of the art world
- Why The Art World Is Fighting Over A Bizarre Material Developed For Satellites
- Painted into a corner: is the art world unfilmable?
- Race, resistance and revolution: what to expect from US art in 2020
- AfriCOBRA: the collective that helped shape the black arts movement
- How we live now: photographs that capture the 21st century
- The art cheats who betrayed my father
- Fischli and Weiss: the art of humour
- Amy Winehouse posing for Back to Black – Mischa Richter's best photo
The Art World's Hottest Critic On The Five Black Photographers Who Influenced Him have 299 words, post on www.buzzfeednews.com at February 2, 2021. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.