Photo: Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images Without fail, each year brings a film or two that makes people ask, "How was that nominated for an Oscar?!" While it's easy to imagine the Academy Awards being decided in a room all at once by some shadow organization, Oscar's 23 categories are decided much more independently from one another. Each category's nominations are voted on by that specific branch of the Academy — so you don't have actors voting on Makeup and Hairstyling, or cinematographers voting on Costume Design — and then the entire Academy votes on the winners in each category. So when a strange outlier nomination like Fifty Shades of Grey or Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa happens, know that they aren't made equally. A cool Production Design and a cringey Adapted Screenplay nomination aren't the same thing, because they come from two separate groups with completely different tastes. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has roughly 10,000 members across 20 distinct branches. Several of Oscars' branches only vote on Best Picture and don't have their own category: associates, casting directors, executives, marketing and public relations, members-at-large, and producers. While not having a category makes it impossible to gauge those… Read full this story
- Oscars say streaming-only films are eligible for Academy Awards this year
- Five takeaways from Academy Award nominations 2021
- Oscars 2021: Mank dominates as Academy Award nominations announced
- Oscars 2021: Academy Awards will take place 'in-person' from 'multiple locations'
- 18 Animated Features Submitted for 84th Annual Academy Awards
- Oscar nominations 2021: Mank leads the way among diverse shortlist revealed for Academy Awards
- Oscar Snubs & Surprises: Regina King, Tom Hanks, Stacey Abrams, Spike Lee Scorned By The Academy
- Films aiming to win Oscars will need to meet diversity criteria, Academy says
- Who Should (and Will) Win at the 2021 Golden Globe Awards?
- ‘Mank’, ‘Minari’ Lead Critics Choice Awards Film Nominations; Netflix Tops Studios; Chadwick Boseman Receives 4
Every Academy Awards Voting Branch Ranked by Taste have 319 words, post on www.vulture.com at March 25, 2021. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.