This is a carousel. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate 3 WASHINGTON (AP) — COVID-19 cases are increasing in the United States – and could get even worse over the coming months, federal health officials warned Wednesday in urging areas hardest hit to consider reissuing calls for indoor masking. Increasing numbers of COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations are putting more of the country under guidelines issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that call for masking and other infection precautions. Right now, the increases are concentrated in the Northeast and Midwest. "(But) prior increases of infections, in different waves of infection, have demonstrated that this travels across the country," said Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the CDC director, said at a White House briefing with reporters. For an increasing number of areas, "we urge local leaders to encourage use of prevention strategies like masks in public indoor settings and increasing access to testing and treatment," she said. However, officials were cautious about making concrete predictions, saying how much worse the pandemic gets will depend on several factors, including to what degree previous infections will protect against new variants. Last week, White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha warned in… Read full this story
- COVID in California: Alameda and Marin counties to lift school mask mandates
- The CDC Says Most Americans Can Take Off Their Masks
- The C.D.C. will soon loosen indoor mask guidelines, officials say.
- House lifting mask mandate ahead of State of The Union address
- California will reveal new school masking rules today. Here’s what we know
- California says even unvaccinated now can unmask indoors
- A slew of states, cities and schools are ditching mask mandates this week. But the fate of one big mandate is still up in air
- New York indoor school mask mandate to be lifted this week
- CDC’s New Mask Guidelines For Covid-19 Throw Vulnerable People Under The Bus
- Denton City Council Votes To Rescind Face Mask Mandate
Officials say more areas of US may see mask recommendations have 322 words, post on www.sfgate.com at May 18, 2022. This is cached page on NGHONG. If you want remove this page, please contact us.